Skipper - the captain of a small vessel. On charter yachts the skipper runs the yacht and is responsible for the safety of the yacht and crew. In most cases, the skipper must have the appropriate permissions to steer yachts relevant to the size of the vessel and the area. The concept of skipper on charter yachts is also connected with the concept of co-skipper, who is assistant/substitute skipper.
What should be kept in mind?
- A skipper can be anyone who has the appropriate qualifications, but they are no substitute for experience and practice.
- The skipper is fully responsible for what is happening on the yacht and therefore he must be absolutely obeyed.
- When hiring a skipper, it is necessary to ensure that he has the appropriate qualifications, insurance and is working legally.
- Before the start of the voyage, the skipper and the crew must define the expectations and rules for the voyage..
- It is customary to cover the skipper's boarding costs during the cruise.
- When hiring a skipper, it is also important to remember that he must have a place to sleep on the yacht.